in

Mike Jones Reveals Why Drake’s Version Of ‘Cutty Buddy’ Never Dropped

It has been thirteen years since Houston, Texas rap legend Mike Jones released his hit record ‘Cutty Buddy.’ The single also featured Lil Wayne, T-Pain, & Twista and was a go-to record in the late 2000s. If you look on YouTube, Trey Songz’s version can be found, but that is about it.

However, according to Jones, many artists were looking to get on the record, including Drake, but Jones’s record label pulled the machine from under him because he owned a 65 percent royal split. Meaning that Universal and Swishahouse fight over the remaining 35 percent, and Drake’s version was never released.

Jones was on Clubhouse, playing some unreleased tracks in the Sleepless on Clubhouse.

“I did a favor for T-Pain ‘I’m In Love With a Stripper.’ I was; first, I did mine in 2006, and T-Pain came after me. I did, I’m In With A Stripper for him, and in exchange, he did one that I wrote. And it was Cutty Buddy. I wrote the hook and everything. I wrote it, T-Pain sang it, now when I did, it was T-Pain initially, but then we wrote the record for Trillville, and then they did not use it,” said Jones.

“I got the record back; I went and got Lil Wayne, Twista, and tried to put it out. However, the record label did not like T-Pain with the gold dreadlocks at the time, so we tried to put Trey Songz. So, there were a lot of people sending there’s in. Finally, Drake sent his version and said, check this out.

Everybody wanted to mess with Mike Jones at this time, but as I told you earlier, the label realized that I had a 65 percent royalty split, and didn’t they did not want to pay me all that money and still push it even with a Drake feature on ‘Cutty Buddy.’ So they did not want future artists to know that Mike Jones is getting 65 percent because they will be looking for 65 percent.”

What do you think?

Written by Landon Buford

Leave a Reply

Wack 100 Reveals He Came Up With The Concept For Ray J’s ‘I Hit It First’

Wack 100 Reveals He Has A Verzuz Lined Up With Game & 50 Cent