LOS ANGELES, CA – On Friday, March 22nd, the LA County Department of Military & Veterans Affairs (MVA) will host a day of education, awareness and resources for military women, veterans and their families, and announce a historic partnership with the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health (DMH) and the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks.
The year-long Spark the True You campaign will focus on women in active duty, women veterans and their families in an effort to normalize the experience of mental illness and health issues and break through barriers preventing them from achieving their dreams.
Summit registration begins at 8:30 AM, morning program promptly at 9:30 AM, and will include invocation, music, food and a variety of distinguished speakers, including Sparks head coach Derek Fisher, Sparks guard Karlie Samuelson and Sparks President and COO Danita Johnson. All women veterans and supporters are welcome. A special Women-in-Leadership panel will be held to discuss barriers around the transition from military to civilian life. A Procovery Mixer, meditation, massage, Reiki, make-overs, and a pop-up clothing shop will be featured during the afternoon.
WHAT: 2019 Women Veterans Summit and “Spark the True You” campaign kick-off
- Ruth A. Wong, Brigadier General, USAF (ret), Director, L.A. County Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Jonathan Sherin, M.D., Ph.D., DMH Director
- Derek Fisher, Sparks Head Coach
- Karlie Samuelson, Sparks Guard
- Danita Johnson, Sparks President, and COO
- Marilyn F. Solomon, Founder, and President, Solomon Leadership Foundation
- Patrice McElroy, Executive Officer, Talent Manager, Los Angeles Metro
- Barbara Autin, Director of Career Placement, Veterans of Media and Entertainment
- Kathleen Crowley, LCSW, Procovery CEO, Author
A wide variety of resources will be provided, including:
- Assistance with veteran benefits
- Mental health and medical services
- Legal aid
Approximately thirty-five vendors will provide additional resources. The event is sponsored by L. A. County DMH, L.A. County MVA. Tickets.